What is Stimming Aspergers?

Discussion in 'Adult Relationships' started by aspiemum, Nov 30, 2015.

1. aspiemum

aspiemum New Member

When I was 11, I was diagnosed with Asperger’s, but my family and I didn’t accept the diagnosis. Due to financial reasons I stopped seeing a therapist. We used mental illness as the excuse for my withdrawing and not showing up for classes.

I finally started seeing a therapist again when I was 13 at school though. We started exploring the diagnosis of Asperger’s again. I think it actually explains some of the bullying I experienced when I was in grade school and that I never say the right thing when I talk to people. I always misunderstand people too.

I once asked a girl “don’t you eat too much?” because sometimes I can eat too much and she is really fat. She came up to me while I eating a snack so I thought she wanted some because no one ever comes up to me to talk.

So I thought it would be something I could ask. She laughed and said “wow that was direct” and she walked away. I felt bad then. As she was walking away I tried to get her to meet my friend, but she just kept walking.

I also have wondered about having Tourette’s Syndrome because that’s what people have told me they think I have. I sputter different words out without thinking about it. But now, I’m wondering if maybe it’s stimming? Can you explain what is stimming aspergers to me?

I also flick my thumb and index finger against each other with my other fingers pointing up and moving when there is stimuli. I also have to pace when I listen to music because I can’t sit still. Can you help me know?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  2. taraleiker

taraleiker Member

Watch this video on Stimming Asperger's

If you have been diagnosed with Asperger’s these behaviors you are describing can definitely be stimming. Stimming is self-stimulatory behavior which can include repeating physical movements, movement of objects, or also repeating sounds (which is similar to Tourette’s so I can see the connection you made :rolleyes:).

The movements or sounds are often done without knowing it and in Asperger’s it can be one of the more obvious symptoms that can be seen, primarily because it is an outward sign or a physical symptom. Stimming is related to your senses and it provides you with some form of nervous system arousal or stimulation.

[​IMG]

It can help you to “normalize” your system in certain ways that might be different than other people depending on what your system need is. For instance it seems as though you are needing forms of vocal and physical stimulation at different times to balance your system in to put your house (read mind) in order.

It is, more often, something that you don’t know you are doing. I’m sure maybe you’ve had it pointed out to you at times rather than knowing you are doing these things on your own?

Sometimes you stim because it can help you concentrate on things that feel good to you and help you to relax. When you stim you don’t have to put much effort into thinking and using your brain. So, it is also normal that you may stim in more stressful situations.

I hope this helps you in understanding what is stimming aspergers

AnnieM8 likes this.
  3. ashishb01

ashishb01 Webmaster & Founder Member of DW Autism Staff Member

4. zzzsmokeyzzz

zzzsmokeyzzz New Member

My son used to flap his arms behind him like a bird from the age of 4 till he was about 13. He had to really focus on it to stop doing it so much. Anything that was exciting to him he'ld start doing it.

5. autieemyln

autieemyln New Member

although my diagnosis is classic autism,not aspergers,as an adult i still stim constantly.
    my main stims are rocking,speed rocking,flapping my arms and hands,chewing my flesh, slapping my head.
    i also stim vocally,making noises.